Friday 29 August 2008

Anansi and Death


This is my black and white design for a double spread from the Anansi and Death story.  It's from the part in the story where Anansi eats from the "Stranger's" pot of meat.

I wanted to try a surreal (or non-literal)  interpretation of this scene where Anansi actually is in the pot, balancing on the ladle to get to the meat.  I also wanted Anansi to look repulsive because my slant on the narrative is more sympathetic towards Death.

There is more work to be done on this double spread.  I wish to add a subtle colour palette to accent certain points in the drawing, maybe just Anansi's 'mask' and the text.  I also want to experiment with adding textured elements using Photoshop.

Linn Olofsdotter is my main comparative research.  I love the use of a subtle textured background.  Also her complex, flowing, organic forms are an inspiration to me.

To see my full preliminary work towards this design and other comparative research see my blog.

No comments: