Tuesday 26 August 2008

City of Wall Art and Comics

I'm not sure if anyone has ever been to Angouleme but I'd really recommend it for the likes of...well..us XP I believe Chiu mentioned the international comic festival which is held there every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angoul%C3%AAme_International_Comics_Festival

I believe its in January. Anyway...It also has a comic museum with alot of original artwork and such in it (which I didn't get to visit this time around but have in the past). However the most impressive thing, on the surface atleast is the vast amount of artwork on the cities world. It's literally a free for all when it comes to grafitti and buildings everywhere are painted up, some just with figures, other's with whole sides done.

Here are a few of my favourites.


(The Angel shadow was the shadow of an angel painted on the opposite building)




There were also alot of figures, I'm assuming by the same artist (but idiot that I am I didn't look at his name >.>"). I'm fairly sure they were stickers, since alot were torn or peeling.

Also, if you ever go there look for this shop.

A children's book shop that was like heaven...I had to be dragged out in the end. I only bought 3 actual books because by then I was horrifically poor (having been in spain for 2 weeks before I got there) but I also bought the Annual for this years Bologna Illustration Festival which was horrifically expensive...but worth it...Beaaautiful and really gives you an idea of what you need to do to get into the exhibition...But I'll out more on that at a later date!

Ryanair have also just started doing flights to Angouleme from Stanstead (the airport is literally a tent...and that is the only commercial flight that goes there >.>) something like every other day. I really want to make it to the festival, if I have the funds and although my Aunt has offered a house to me and 5 others at a push (they have 3 spare rooms...2 double beds and a floor XP) she does live in a small hamlet about 20-30 mins from Angouleme...so I'm not entirely sure how practical it would be o.o" We'll see anyway!

Jess

1 comment:

happyasaimee said...

http://www.picturesofwalls.com/

not quite the same, but made me laugh!!

x